Grandma Wilson's Ham Balls
Yields about 48 balls
1.25 lbs ham (pulverized)
2 lbs ground pork
1 cup milk
1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 jar pineapple juice
2 cans tomato soup
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp dry mustard
Large Mixing Bowl
Bowl for Ice Water
9×13 Pan (Pyrex)
For the sauce-
Mix together ingredients and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes, set aside for individual portions or pour over meatballs before serving.
For the ham balls-
Pulverize ham in food processor until uniform texture, add to mixing bowl.
Mix in pork, eggs, milk and graham cracker crumbs by hand until completely combined.
Dip your hands in an ice water bath before making each ball, to keep them smooth and from sticking to your hands.
Roll balls into quarter size to golf ball size each.
Pour 1 inch of pineapple juice in the cooking pan and put ham balls in, not allowing them to touch.
Bake @ 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
Rotate balls every 12-15 minutes to make sure they cook evenly.
Serve as a part of a full meal or an Hors d’oeuvre.
Hints and Hacks-
- Can be cooked ahead of time and reheated easily. Retain pineapple juice for reheating.
- Can be frozen after cooking. Also, retain juices for reheating.
- If running low on time, microwave ham balls during the cooking process, 2 minutes at a time.
- Use a meatball scoop to create uniform sized balls for even cooking.
- Get creative with sauces. Everything from a honey-mustard to a bbq sauce is a great accent to these glorious morsels.