1 box chickpea or other pasta
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil and more for drizzling, if desired
1 lb. chicken or pork Italian sausage
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 15-oz. can artichoke hearts, chopped
1 bunch kale, chopped
1 25.5-oz. jar marinara
Parmesan cheese, optional
OTHER VARIATIONS THAT WORK IN THIS RECIPE:
Red bell pepper, zucchini and red onion
Cauliflower, brussels sprouts and spinach
Broccoli, leeks and Kalamata olives
You can also make it vegetarian by adding a 15-oz. can of cannellini or garbanzo beans
- Follow the directions on your pasta box for preparation.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the Italian sausage until done, breaking it up into desirable sizes with a metal spatula (about 10–12 minutes). Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and kale to the skillet and sauté for a few minutes.
- Pour in the marinara and return the sausage to the skillet. Stir well to combine all the ingredients. Cover the skillet and simmer on low while your pasta finishes cooking.
- Drain pasta, cover with a generous spoonful of marinara and serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired.