Ruhel Islam's Khichuri
3 tablespoons ghee or oil of choice
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/2 cup yellow dal or lentils of choice
1 cup basmati rice
4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
1/2 cup chopped onion
- Add 1 tablespoon ghee or oil to a pot.
- Then add lentils, basmati rice, and fenugreek seeds and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, turmeric, and salt to pot and stir.
- Cover the pot and cook about 20 minutes or until the rice and lentils are soft.
- In a separate pan, add remaining 2 tablespoons ghee or oil, along with the chopped ginger and onions. Fry until golden brown.
- Add this mixture (called Tadka) t the kichuri. Stir and serve.
Pair this traditional Bengali dish with seasonal stir-fried veggies for a healthy and delicious meal.